what steps can I take to avoid fraud?
For buyers, we recommend the following steps to help ensure a successful trading experience:
Before bidding or using the Buy It Now button
- Always read the item listing carefully and make sure you understand the seller's postage terms, refund and return policy, and other terms and conditions. Your bid or use of Buy It Now is a commitment to buy the item from the seller.
- Check the seller's sales history through feedback as well as their current items to get an idea of their areas of expertise. For example, if the seller has only sold CDs, and then lists a 1967 Impala SS, make sure that you are comfortable with the transaction before you bid.
- Make sure your method of payment offers purchase protection.
- Know the postage charges before you buy.
- Use common sense. If something seems too good to be true, it often is. Make sure that you are comfortable with the transaction before you bid.
- Find out about listing policies.
- Ask your seller questions using the Ask seller a question link on the item-listing page.
- Confirm authenticity of the item.
Before sending payment
- Contact the seller to arrange payment. Verify your seller's contact information.
- Use extra caution with international transactions, as well as high-price and popular items.
- Insure your item.
- Keep a record of all purchases.
What to avoid
- Paying with instant money transfer services such as Western Union and Money Gram that send cash instantly from shop front locations, by telephone and over the Internet.
- Transactions where the seller only accepts cash.
- Unsolicited offers. If the seller offers to sell you the item directly without bidding on and winning the item on, please don't respond.
- Need to report suspicious or fraudulent activity? Contact us